Phonics and Reading
At Bottesford we purposely continue the same phonics scheme as our main infant feeder school.
Read Write Inc. is a government endorsed phonics scheme designed by Ruth Miskin, which, through systematic teaching and consistent routines, enables children to achieve high levels of reading success. At Bottesford Junior School, we continue to support pupils on their phonics and reading journey through the use of Read Write Inc until the point at which they are ready to move onto our banded home reading scheme.
This vital skill, allows access to all other learning. We want our children to read and to develop a love of books. We encourage them to take books home and share them with parents. A reading record booklet is available for home/school communication. Pupils will experience the following types of reading, but essentially it is an ongoing activity which happens all the time in the classroom.
· Reading for pleasure; personal quiet reading
· Reading for information seeking, using reference skills
· Reading to an audience for entertainment
· Reading for following instructions
· Reading in other subjects to gain or improve understanding
· Listening to others reading